Wednesday, January 31, 2007

On The Train, Aug. 12, 2005

The haze was better this morning. It was the worst so far yesterday where the API recorded at 429 in KL at 11am and 295 at 5pm. Klang and Kuala Selangor were declared as hazardous when both areas recorded above 500. So, I was really watching outside when I woke up this morning to see whether I need to go to work or not. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, it was a bit better than yesterday. As the children were not going to school, the state government announced that most schools in Klang Valley and effected areas to be closed for two days, I went out early to catch the 0633 train as I am going to the Renaissance. Obviously the station was a bit empty without the school children and I just barely made it.

Since I am heading for Renaissance I had to stop at KL Sentral and take a connecting Putra LRT to Dang Wangi. I got there at 0718 and decided to have breakfast first at Syida’s Café. I knew I made a wrong decision as soon as the meehon touched my lip. I should have just stuck to McD for a simple breakfast. At least I know what to expect. The lesson learnt was, it is good to be adventurous – to do out of the norm sometimes for the discovery but normality has its purpose. The same thing in KM – complexity is good so that we could allow certain natural thing forming but sometimes-simple form of doing the expected is necessary to ensure effectiveness.

I saw it the first time when I had to board the Putra LRT at KL Sentral to go to Nikko Hotel for a conference. On the platform were long lines of commuters waiting for the train. I said to myself, 'Ók there is hope for Malaysia. We are beginning to be a bit more civic about something.’ My hope disintegrated into the morning air when I saw the guards instructing people. But today I saw it with my own eyes; I saw the lines forming nicely and naturally without the guards around. Everyone was standing patiently waiting in lines for the train and later allowing the passengers to disembarked properly before boarding. I can tell you this is not going to happen anytime soon at any KTMB Kommuter stations. After so long of chaos I guess someone decided enough is enough and decided to forces order and put the guards to it. And now it became a norm. A good example on how you can change certain culture. But, I bet you being Malaysian, once in a while there will be idiots spoiling things. When I got to Dang Wangi I squeezed myself out of the packed train, put on my mask and walked up towards Renaissance. Another thing that I do not understand is that many of us still could not get the idea of standing on the left side allowing someone to pass on a deep escalator

No comments:

THE NEW BOOKSTORE IN TOWN The first Tsutaya Books, like Kinokuniya (Kino), is another Japanese bookstore I admire. It is Japan’s largest boo...