Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Calling - Part 1

I was walking into my favourite bookshop and immediately I saw the book on the shelf, as the New Arrival Section as the name implies is waiting for the customer’s arrival as well, especially someone like me. I picked the book, took out my wallet and headed for the counter, paid and went home smiling. It took me roughly one day to finish the book. If I can do that normally the book must be special. This one is indeed special – Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth Of Organization by Thomas Stewarts was what I subconsciously waiting for. I was not surprise of my reaction after reading the book mainly because it practically outlined on what I really believe in thus far. All my working live I have been working and dealing with information – acquiring, classifying, managing, leveraging and disseminating information. When I was not in the rat race I was utilising information in a great deal as well. This is not just saying in order to do my work effectively I have to know where to source out the information and how to use it effectively. But, I am saying that information and knowledge is going to be core component of my daily existence as well as for all Malaysian.

Deep down I always believe that information is one commodity that going to be very important for the future of Malaysia not to mention my own future. The book Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth Of Organization by Thomas Stewarts in a gist is telling me that the information commodity, now collectively called Intellectual Capital to emphasise on it’s economic importance, has been transformed into knowledge within most organizations today. So far corporations and organization have not been paying too much attention on their intellectual capital and we thought that we have to always create something new to be competitive. Also, we thought we have to go out of our organization to learn more of be effective. In actual fact we have spent a lot on technology, new methods of doing things and trainings to gain our competency. Indeed we know a lot and have learned a lot collectively as well. The problem is collectively we do not know what we know and have not been using of what we know effectively. The book suggests for all organization to look inwards to identify and leverage these ‘knowhow’ – knowledge..

Soon enough the concept of knowledge management came into being where the major part of the idea revolve around managing and leveraging the intellectual capital. If we looked closely at what actually had happened in our economy it is obvious that this is going to be something big in Malaysia and the announcement of the Vision 2020 and subsequently the introduction of the Multimedia Super Corridor project confirmed my theory. The knowledge economy is here and I have to be meaningfully in it.

Thus, that is how I got very passionate about knowledge management.

No comments:

THE NEW BOOKSTORE IN TOWN The first Tsutaya Books, like Kinokuniya (Kino), is another Japanese bookstore I admire. It is Japan’s largest boo...