Sunday, November 3, 2019

KLS - Bangkok - Chiang Mai and Back On Rail, Sept 13-19, 2018, Day 1


Day 1, Sept 13, 2018 - Thursday
0700 ETS 9222 KLS - Padang Besar

I set the alarm at 4am just to make sure. My wife did the same as we did not want to miss this one he he he. Initially, it was supposed to be a group trip excursion for PPM became just then two of us until I broadcasted about the intent and my good schoolmate from JB decided to join us. There was not an elaborate preparation for this trip, it just changed the content our or travelling luggage. A trip like this is a normal occurrence to both of us now. In fact, we just got back from another train trip to the east coast. 

We left the house with me driving 10 minutes to 5am. It was drizzling a bit and the kind of weather accompanied us all the way to Bangkok which was nice to us, not too hot. I drove at a constant normal speed as I knew we would reach KL Sentral in more than enough timeframe. We arrived at KL Sentral about half past 5 and walked down to the ground level to wait. A few minutes later a familiar face greeted us, Mohd Noh arrived with his son and daughter a few hours earlier and we chatted while waiting for Suboh

After Suboh we went straight to wait at the gate while Mohd Noh, I guessed correctly, was still waiting at the waiting area up at another level above. As it was the first train for the day I knew it would be on time. Soon the gate opened for boarding. After I texted Mohd Noh we went down to board and our coach was just in front of us when the lift door opened. As usual, I booked Coach C where the cafe and surau (prayers room) are. Very convenient for a guy like me. We walked in to board and for me to make sure my wife settled down and our luggage stowed away properly. Then Mohd Noh and family showed up to board. Then I did my own normal thing moving around taking photos. Since a lot of people asking the ‘how to’ of taking the train all the way to Bangkok I planned a storyline to capture our journey in short videos. I did the first one in the waiting area and longer when boarding the ETS. This capturing continued at important points and up all the way to Chiang Mai. 

When the train departed Mohd Noh and I sat at the cafe to chat, old times chatting session. While we were chatting the cafe guys were busy getting ready for business and eventually, we were their first customers. It not that the scene outside of no interest to me but after so many times on this route I could ignore it for a while. Sam was sleeping so I had breakfast with Mohd Noh. Later Mohd Noh’s family joined us and Sam was still sleeping until I woke her up. 

We arrived at Tg Malim at 0710 and we departed 10 minutes later. Tg Malim brought back certain memories.

We sat at the cafe until several customers arrived that we had to vacate the seats for others to sit. That was when I decided to catch on my lost sleep. I did not know how long I slept but enough to refresh me when we arrived at Ipoh around 0830. After that, I became adventurous as usual. Since I was already too familiar with the scene outside I just stood by the window to expect the unexpected. One thing that I would like to capture in video though was the crossing of Bukit Merah Lake on the right side where we could see the old track. 

We arrived at Kuala Kangsar at 0907 and from the conversation between the conductors I knew the train was going to sit for 10 minutes, Thus, I followed the attendant out on the platform.

We passed through the first tunnel at 0917 and eventually Bukit Merah Lake at 0940.

After Bukit Merah, I just sat in my seat looking the world passing by at 100 km per hour outside. Actually, I was anticipating Padang Besar and the drill that we had to go through to get on the shuttle train to Hatyai. I have never done it before myself thus the plan played out in my mind like a movie being replayed so many times. ETS 9222 bypassed Butterworth so time to Pdg Besar was shorter. We arrived on time at Padang Besar, at 1240 the train approached Pdg Besar Station. Once disembarked, coach C was strategically at the terminal exit, I walked out towards the auxiliary police to enquire on buying the Thais shuttle tickets to Hatyai. I knew that the tickets could be bought at the SRT office on our left at the platform level. He started telling me that and continued to inform me that recently the Thai SRT rescheduled their train services and the next shuttle will depart at 1640 our time which means 1540 Thai time and the ticket office will only be opened at 1430. On hearing the new timing I panicked for a while and did a quick mental calculation on our train scheduling. Our train to Bangkok will depart at 1845 so we will have 2 hours at Hatyai to kill. Enough time to have proper early dinner and I was planning to purchase the data sim card there as well. He advised us to wait at the cafeteria above. We did and we had light lunch. Mohd Noh and I chatted about old times as well as current status and well being of our school friends. This what I like in a long travels like this one. Stories, especially old stories being told and shared, among others you get connected or reconnected with new and old friends. It became our travel and adventure to share and remember about for a long time. The train gives you the opportunity as if we were its captured market that we have to be there waiting and sitting for the next train. For us opportunity to explore, read, write or just having a nice conversation that we could never have the opportunity to do before. To the railway companies they should look at these waiting times as opportunity to make more money. But I do not think KTMB has that in their mind as even their bathrooms are in dire state. 

At 1455 we decided to uproot ourselves from the cafe to go down the platform to buy out tickets and wait to board. It was not a complicated process but the waiting time was quite tiring. I walked into the Thais ticketing office and bought 5 tickets to Hatyai. Then we had to walk to the Platform 1 to wait for immigration checks, both Malaysia and Thailand. The immigration will only open when the Hatyai - Padang Besar train arrived at the station and they have to clear passengers from Hatyai first before we were allowed to go through the process to leave Padang Besar. No matter what the train will wait for us to clear the immigration and board. The shuttle from Hatyai arrived at 1547 at Platform 2 and the passengers from Hatyai started to disembark and went through the immigration check.

The train scheduled to depart at 1640 but we boarded at 1642 at Platform 2 and departed 1 minute after. 

I always love to ride the old train. Something that at times I crave for and I am not alone. My train buddies would enjoy the open windows seeing the world outside passing by with the burst of strong wind provided by the movement of the train. The faster the train goes the better it is for us and we love it. The feeling is so indescribable. If I were to describe it to the uninitiated it would be like someone by the sea with the strong sea breeze blowing against you. You will be just standing there facing the sea absorbing all the good things blowing against you. You feel relax when all the worries and stress blew away. It is something like that with us in an open train. 

While enjoying the short ride a Thai man that I observed peddling Thai Telecom SIM card at the Padang Besar platform came into our coach. I wanted to get one and I thought I could get is cheaper at Hatyai. He approached us and I asked how much he was selling. The replied was the same rate if you buy anywhere else and I took one for our adventure in Thailand. It is a tourist SIM card valid for a week. I knew it was good as I had used it before. I plug it in my iPad and told Mohd Nor that he did not have to get one as I would use mine as hotspot for them.

The shuttle approached Hatyai at 1634 Thai time. We disembarked and walked out towards the Halal restaurant outside of the station. It was not so much that we were hungry but it was an early dinner as well as the last opportunity to pack some halal food for the night journey. We had roughly 2 hours so we enjoyed our food. We chatted and at the same time getting to know each other better. 

Special Express 32, Hatyai - Bangkok, Car 2 - 21-22

After the food, we were tourists doing touristy things like capturing each other in digital in front of the station with the old exhibited locomotive. We continued doing the same on the platform. As we were doing this our train shunted in at 1740 with the first-class cabin right in front. We boarded. We had plenty of time to settle down before the train departed. We even managed to jump out to do our last-minute snack sacking on the platform. At 1800 Iqah experienced her first Thailand’s NegaraKu ritual.

The locomotive was attached while we were on board and since I was at the front I managed to capture the process from the train. At that time Mohd Nor and family happened to tour our cabin and managed to observe the process from the back of our cabin as well. 

We departed at 1845 sharp. 

After we departed Hatyai we went to our cabin to soak in the atmosphere being on the train. To Mohd Nor and family, it was their first time to get comfortable in the new train. I thought I let them get comfortable before I pay them a visit or invite them to have coffee at the buffet car. Mohd Nor and family had been travelling form JB and understandably there were a bit tired. I let them rested a bit longer, in fact only after maghrib and dinner I sort of checked on them. Everyone was too tired and retired to bed early.

I had a good sleep. It was heaven sleeping on the train. Especially this new train.

https://www.facebook.com/ghazali.fadzil/media_set?set=a.10156631080297246&type=3

No comments:

THE NEW BOOKSTORE IN TOWN The first Tsutaya Books, like Kinokuniya (Kino), is another Japanese bookstore I admire. It is Japan’s largest boo...